Thursday, October 3, 2013

Baker Spotlight: The Happy Tart

The Happy Tart believes that gluten free and delicious belong in the same category. They have lovingly transformed Classic French Pastries into gluten free versions. All of their creations are made from scratch, in a gluten free kitchen, using eggs, butter, cream, premium chocolate, fruit, and unique blends of 100% gluten free flours. Imagine, delicate crisp cookies with a creamy filling, luscious layered mousse cakes, lofty meringues, dense fudgey brownies with an irresistible ganache glaze, and smooth custards nestled in a flaky, buttery, tart shell.

Tell us about yourself

We have all heard the phrase “When life gives you lemons, make lemonade”. I took this pithy wisdom to heart when I discovered I was gluten intolerant while attending the Professional Pastry Arts program at L’Academie de Cuisine. Like most people who discover they are gluten intolerant, my first thoughts were for all the pastry treats I would no longer be able to eat. This was doubly difficult while attending culinary school and preparing delectable French Pastries day in and day out. After a day or two of self pity, I became determined to convert the French Pastries I made at school into gluten free versions. I have spent the past year researching and baking and tasting and researching again, to come up with gluten free French pastries. My dream upon entering culinary school was to open a French Bakery. I am delighted therefore, to be the owner of The Happy Tart, a gluten-free Patisserie.

If you had to describe yourself as a cupcake, how would you?

I am more of a tart...

What cupcakes do you plan to bring to CupcakeCampDC?

Spice Cupcake with Ginger Cream Cheese Frosting topped with Candied Ginger

"Baker Spotlight" is an online featurette of bakers or bakeries that are participating in CupcakeCampDC.

No comments:

Post a Comment